REVIEW: Paula's Choice Resist BHA 9

In mid 2014, I started to get stubborn cystic acne on my cheeks and closed comedones along my jaw. UGH. Nothing I did helped until I incorporated retinoids and acids into my skincare routine.  However by late 2014 I was still plagued with small break outs from time to time and the closed comedones were just not going away.  I absolutely loathed washing my skin and feeling those clogged pores and bumps underneath my skin *shudder*.  To fix that, I went on a mad hunt online for something to reduce those stubborn bumps and blackheads, and after reading about this spot treatment from Paula's Choice called the Resist BHA 9, I knew I had to have it.  


Although I'm not a fan of the way Paula's Choice has reviewed other products and, at times, misinterpreted scientific studies and research results when criticizing other skincare companies and their use of ingredients like alcohol, I was nevertheless won over by the ingredients and claims of this Resist BHA 9 enough to open my wallet. 

The spot treatment sells for $40 USD for only 0.3 fl. oz or 8.4ml, which is quite an expensive price point for such a small amount of product.  I finished my tube in just over a month and this is largely because the pump nozzle is terribly hard to control.  Each time I pumped out the liquid, a huge glob of it would come out - way more than the actual amount I needed to use - so it was a huge waste and that contributed to how quickly I finished it.

Despite functional issues with the product, the spot treatment DOES work and works quite nicely.  I have noticed a significant reduction in the size and duration of my acne within a few days to a week of applying the product.  The closed comedones along my jaw have also disappeared with consistent use every night before I go to bed.  However, I haven't noticed any significant improvement in my hyperpigmentation and PIH. 

To use the product, it must be applied as the LAST step of your skincare routine and only as a spot treatment.  A little bit of the product goes a long way.  It's also quite an oily feeling liquid, so be warned, it will rub off on your pillow while you're sleeping.  As a result, I always try to apply it earlier in the night before I officially head to sleep, so that it can at least absorb into my skin a bit more before I finally call it a night.  

I have noticed some stinging upon application and some dryness in the mornings on the areas I've applied the spot treatment.  Since it is 9% BHA, it's quite strong, meaning for sensitive skin types this may cause skin irritation.  My recommendation to prevent excessive amounts of drying or irritation is to protect your skin's moisture barrier with a mix of water and oil-based moisturizers, emulsions, and toners in your skincare routine.  I know that following a strict, moisturizing routine has really mitigated the strong effects of the BHA on my skin.  

Full Ingredients: 
Propylene Glycol (solvent/penetration enhancer), PEG-75, PEG-8 (thickeners), Water, Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/time-released exfoliant, 9%), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritant), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (antioxidant plant extract), Sea Whip Extract (soothing plant extract), Arginine (amino acid/skin-conditioning agent), Polysorbate 20 (stabilizer), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent)

As you can see, the total score is on the lower end for this product despite how effective it has been for me on my acne, blackheads, and closed comedones.  This is largely because 1) design of the bottle and pump nozzle needs improvement so that users can at least control the amount of liquid pumped out, and 2) the price is insanely high for a pretty simple formulation and for such a small amount of the actual product (0.3 fl oz / 8.4ml).  Other than these things, I'm still keeping this in my skin care routine since it does the job well.  I won't be switching until I find a better alternative! 



Efficacy
Price
Formulation
Design
Total
Paula's Choice Resist BHA 9 
4.5/5
1.5/5
4/5
3.75/5
13.75/20



You can purchase this product at the following trusted, e-shops:
Paula's Choice - $40 USD (shipping extra)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I still have not tried Paula's Choice, as it's only available online and quite pricey in my region too. I am currently trying my first BHA for my cystic acne too and it works really well. Have you looked into the COSRX brand? They have a 4% BHA that I only heard good things about so far and it is a lot cheaper and you get 100ml of product. If you liked this in general it might be worth trying out I think :)
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I would love to try some products but damn, that price. 60$ for 8ml is just a real ripoff, even if you didn't waste that much product it probably would still only last you 6-8 weeks maybe? :( WIshtrend, Jolse and RoseRoseShop sell them afaik. RoseRose just had a 30% off on COSRX deal but I'm not sure if they still sell them! I have the AHA, A-Sol and Snail Essene and so far have nothing bad to say! (which is a first, I am very picky with my skin XD)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So refreshing to hear someone who doesn't treat Paula Choice's website as a skincare bible :P. It's the most negative website I have ever come across, all she does is criticize every product & brand, except (of course) her own. And she approves of mineral oil! *shudders*. Though it does seem her BHA products are quite good, don't know yet if I can bring myself to pay for one though, and if so, then which one? ^^. Glad to hear that though this was product was expensive, that it's working for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely with you that Paula's Choice is *so* biased and dismissive of almost every other brand out there. Sometimes it's pretty annoying to read her and her team's reviews on products when they misrepresent certain scientific findings or academic sources. I think if you're looking to pick up a BHA product from her one day, the BHA 2% toner has had great results with a lot of people. Definitely worth trying it and it certainly isn't as pricey as this Resist BHA 9. I haven't repurchased it lately just cause of the price tag for such a small amount! :(

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us

 

Join Skin & Beauty Story

Follow

Follow

Facebook